Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Surgeon's Report

I met with a very nice surgeon, Dr. Semegran, about my hernia last week. He was recommended to me by my general physician, Dr. Chang, by a good friend who is a nurse case manager at the local hospital, and by the office of the gastroenterologist who did the colonoscopy last year.

So, for the fourth time within about 8 weeks, a doctor examined my abdomen and told me that I have a really large hernia. That makes five opinions (mine, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Caputo, Dr. Chang, and now, Dr. Semegran). Experts agree.

Dr. Semegran asked me to undergo a CAT scan, which is the same CAT scan I am supposed to undergo as part of my one-year follow-up to the hysterectomy: A two-fer! That happens on the 29th. Based on the results from the scan, Dr. Semegran will decide whether the hernia repair can be done laparoscopically or not. Let us all pull for a laparoscopic repair, since recovery will be much shorter, and surprisingly, Dr. Semegran says that he can do a better job that way.

The repair will involve a large piece of mesh and plastic screws and cameras down tubes and I stopped listening after that because I was hysterically laughing at Dr. Semegran’s description of the screws.

I am getting ready for a trip to Arizona to visit my sister, Susan. I had intended to fly as cheaply as possible in as few flights as possible. I am still flying cheaply, but I will be hitting every airport in the United States both coming and going, it seems.

The airline (USAirways) tells me that I can carry a 55-inch carry on with me. This is a bag that has height, width, and length dimensions that add up to 55 inches. I want to go with a carry on because when you are stringing three flights going and three coming home together, the chances of your checked luggage keeping up with you start shrinking rapidly.

I intend to travel light, because I prefer it. Besides, Susan says she will let me wash my clothes at her house for a very modest fee.

She is also treating me to two concerts by the Tucson Symphony Orchestra. One is a concert of classic music by Russian composers. The other is a concert of classical music by the Liverpudlian composers known as the Beatles.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hunter said...

I just wanted to know that I'm thinking of you.

I miss your posts.

Wishing you all the best.

Darilyn

5:35 PM  
Blogger clazy said...

Good piece on biogenerics, wondered who you are, hence visit. Hope you're doing okay!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home