Saturday, May 27, 2006

That Creaky Noise You Hear Is . . . .

I apologize for being slow in getting new posts added to the blog. I think of a good idea for a topic and then never get around to writing it.

My belly is doing quite nicely, but the rest of my body has decided to stiffen up. Or maybe it was stiff and sore for the last few weeks, but I didn’t notice because the abdomen was really sore. My joints all feel like someone added a little cement to the normal synovial fluid.

Example: I went to reach for something on a top shelf and my shoulder and arm seriously complained about doing this much moving. They bitched, they moaned, and I swear to God I heard distinct creaky noises, very similar to rusty hinges.

Because of this, I have started stretching as much as possible. I saw Dr. Schwartz this week and asked him about starting to do sit-ups and other exercises. He nixed the sit-ups, but said stretching and other exercise was probably fine. I see Dr. Caputo this Wednesday and will ask him what he suggests.

I have been hunched over a bit for the last six weeks. I guess major abdominal surgery will do that to your posture. Stretching should help this, too. As I write this, I am throwing my shoulders back a bit and sitting up straighter.

I am trying to take a long walk each day. This means that I get a long walk in every third day. On Thursday, I walked 1.5 miles and didn’t have too much of a problem. I did it pretty much without stopping, although I had to pause and pull up on the abdominal binder a couple of times. Wednesday, I walked around in Manhattan and probably did a mile. Yesterday, it rained. (What, you want me to get wet?)

I am only wearing the binder when I take walks now or when I drive. My whole abdomen still feels a bit jiggly when I don’t have it on. Things feel like they are still a bit loose and are definitely a bit sore. I feel like my abdominal muscles are all very loose, which is why I would like to start exercising them. Still, I think my upper abdomen is a bit swollen and maybe sit-ups would be rushing it a bit.

Stamina is another problem. I have to get moving again just so that the first day back at work doesn’t kill me. I work part-time in a bookstore. I have worn a pedometer at the bookstore and have clocked as much as four miles in an eight-hour shift. The store I work as is large. Going from the front entrance to the back and then up to the front again is 0.1 mile.

That said, let me go take a walk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home